Here are 10 things everyone should know about cancer and how it affects our world:
1. Estimated number of new cancer cases there will be in the United States this year: 1.6 million.
2. Number of people expected to die from cancer in the United States this year: More than 600,000.
3. The country in which the highest cancer rate for men and women is found: Denmark.
4. Percentage of cancer that is hereditary: Approximately 5 percent
5. Percentage of cancer cases that may be preventable: 50 percent
6. The medical costs of cancer in the United States: Expected to reach $156 billion by 2020
7. Percent of cancer cases related to lifestyle factors such as not exercising and eating an unhealthy diet: Approximately 20 percent
8. Percentage of people who will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their life: 39 percent
9. Number of types of cancer: More than 100
10. Decline in the rate of cancer deaths since 1991: 25 percent
Learn more from these additional resources:
- Read about Breast Cancer
- Read about Chemotherapy
- Read about Lung Cancer
- Read about Lymphoma
- Read about Metastatic Melanoma
- Read about Prostate Cancer
- Read about Skin Cancer
Search for oncologists in your area by using Vitals.com