Fact: Forty-eight million Americans had no healthcare insurance at the end of 2012.
One year after the Affordable Care Act was put in place, we need to ask whether the law is living up to it’s promise of providing better access to affordable care.
So where are we now? Is medical care more affordable, as well as accessible? Vitals surveyed 1,000 people across the country with health insurance to see what they had to say about their health care right before the start of open enrollment. How much do you know about the American public’s feelings about health insurance?
1. What percentage of people report being dissatisfied with their health insurance?
d) Trick question. No one likes their health insurance.
Answer: b) 6% of people report being not at all satisfied with their current health insurance.
2. TRUE OR FALSE. It’s harder to get an appointment with a doctor this year compared to last.
Answer: False, 86% of respondents found it about the same or easier to get a doctor’s appointment this year compared to last.
3. What do people LEAST like about their health plan?
a) In-network doctors
b) Value for cost
c) Customer service
d) Online support tools
Answer: b) Value for cost
4. TRUE OR FALSE: The average annual premium cost for single coverage is about $6,000.
Answer: True, According to Kaiser Family Foundation, the average annual premium cost for single coverage is $6,025 and $16,834 for family coverage.
5. What percentage of people won’t make any change to their health plan this year?
Answer: a) 88% of respondents do not plan to make any changes to their insurance this year.
6. How many people used a health care exchange last year to purchase new insurance?
Answer: a) 6% of people used a health care exchange to purchase new insurance last year.
7. Which is the most popular type of health insurance plan purchased?
Answer: b) PPO was the most popular type of health insurance purchased.
8. What are people MOST satisfied with about their insurance plan?
a) Online support tools
b) In network doctors
c) Customer service
Answer: b) In network doctors are what people are most satisfied with about their insurance plan.
9. Approximately how many people signed up for health insurance under the ACA?
a) 14 million
b) 63 million
c) 8 million
Answer: c) 8 million people signed up for health insurance under the ACA.