What I am about to tell you about search engine optimization for doctors may shock you: you don’t actually need to pay anyone to get your profile highlighted in the Google results.
In fact, your best opportunity for search engine success is simply to update your profile on trusted directories like Vitals.com and Google+.
Ask yourself how many people in your area share your first and last name. Unless you have a very unique name, chances are you have a few internet doppelgangers — perhaps even in the same specialty as you.
Because many providers share the same name, search engines must find a way to decide which doctor will snag that coveted “page one” search result position. This decision is a combination of many factors, but make no mistake about it –- your profile content plays a crucial role.
For now, I’ll keep the focus of the article on Vitals.com, but you can (and should) use the basic ideas behind these instructions for other websites.
How can I update my Vitals Doctor profile?
Vitals recently redesigned the doctor portal in order to simplify the log-in and profile updating process.
1. In order to update your profile, a doctor or administrator must register on Vitals by clicking on the Sign Up button at the top right of the header. Alternately, you can directly access the Sign Up page by clicking this link: https://my.vitals.com.
2. Once you’ve reached the Sign Up page, click on Claim Your Professional Profile to officially sign in as a doctor or administrator.
4. You will then be brought to the “Verify Your Information” page. You must fill out all fields accurately so we can ensure you are claiming the correct provider profile.
What content can I add to my profile?
The following information is currently available for updates:
- Basic information such as name and gender
- Practice Address
- Hospital Affiliations
Tips For Managing Your Profile
1. Want positive reviews? Don’t be afraid to ask your satisfied patients directly.
2. You can hide up to two reviews at any given time, but think carefully if there’s a good reason before hiding a review. For example: are you being harassed?
3. Remember that you can respond to any review. Encourage patients to call the office and work out any misunderstandings.
What Not To Do
- Don’t just stand there… do something!
- Don’t attempt to manipulate search engines by stuffing keywords into your bio.
- Don’t falsify information.
- Don’t hire an unverified SEO company which guarantees to lift your profile in the search rankings. They will use spam techniques and cause your profile to be banned forever from the search engines.
Control Your SEO Destiny
By adding data to your profile and keeping your information up to date on trusted services, you provide Google a compelling case to increase your page rank. You’re more than just a name, you’re an entire verifiable profile. You’ll not only move up in search engines, but you’ll raise your visibility for prospective patients.