To raise awareness of a disease that 1 in 8 women will experience in her lifetime, October has been designated as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
While breast cancer rates have been going down, there is still much more research to be done and progress to be made until this disease is eradicated.
If you’d like to do your part in working towards the cure and don’t know how you can help, here are 5 ways you can make a difference:
- Donate. Organizations like the Susan G. Komen Foundation, American Cancer Society, National Cancer Institute, and many more would benefit from your donation.
- Raise money. Participate in charity runs/walks or host a fundraiser of your own.
- Become and advocate. Help spread the word about legislation and other issues related to breast cancer research and funding.
- Volunteer. The various charity events that take place year-round to raise funds for breast cancer research all depend on the generosity of volunteers who donate their time and talents to make them happen.
- Shop for the cause. Need new workout gear? A haircut? New makeup? These are all items that you can purchase from retailers who donate a portion of the proceeds to breast cancer research. From large businesses, like New Balance, Amazon, Avon, Target and Kohl’s, to many local business near you, like hair salons and restaurants.
If you or someone you love is facing breast cancer, learn more about the doctors who treat it, treatment options, questions to ask the doctor, and more in the Vitals Breast Cancer Patient Guide.
Sources: komen.org, nbcam.org, and amherst.patch.com