Many of us have turned to self-help books for advice on how to navigate through life’s rough patches. Whether you’re insecure socially, financially unstable, unorganized, or unlucky in love, there’s most likely a book out there written with your specific need in mind.
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, these five books have been chosen based on a method we at Vitals value very highly: ratings. Specifically, we looked at the highest rated self-help books on Amazon.com.
Who would be better to ask about the best self-help books than the readers themselves?
Out of over 106 thousand books in the self-help category on Amazon, these are the top five highest-rated:
- Doing What Must Be Done by Chad Hymas and Rebecca Hayes (Jan 9, 2012) The story of how a man paralyzed in a car accident reinvented himself and found meaning in his new life.
- Brooklyn NY: A Grim Retrospective by Jerry Castaldo and Chip Deffaa (Dec 16, 2010) Entertainer Jerry Castaldo’s inspirational memoir about rising above the dark side of life in the city.
- Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him by Luis Carlos Montalvan and Bret Witter (Apr 10, 2012) A soldier returns from his tour of duty and struggles with physical and mental wounds, until the love of a dog helps to carry him through.
- Changing Behavior: Transform Your Relationships with Easy to Learn, Proven Communication Skills by Georgianna Donadio (Dec 30, 2011) Learn communication skills that will transform your relationships for the better.
- Photo Adventures in Cuba by Judy Krings (Jul 5, 2011) Lessons in positive psychology, illustrated through the Cuban way of life.
We hope one of these books provides the tips and inspiration you need to overcome any obstacle.
Of course, no book alone can treat a serious medical issue. Be sure to supplement your self-help endeavors with the expertise of a professional. Use the Vitals Find a Doctor tool to find the right specialist to meet your needs.