Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo

Dr Deepak Chopra Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo  Photo

Dr. Deepak Chopra

And the saga continues…

A well respected physician and author, Deepak Chopra, has come out to speak on his longtime friend and patient, Michael Jackson.

Dr. Chopra reports that the deceased musician has been suffering from Lupus, as a result of a traumatizing childhood.

“He had been diagnosed with lupus and he had vitiligo,” Chopra says. “There’s some recent research that suggests that if children have experienced either physical or verbal, mental, emotional or sexual abuse, then 20, 30 years later they can develop these autoimmune diseases including lupus.”

“Michael, he was never sexually abused but according to him, he was traumatized verbally and physically in his childhood, and it was a big issue with him.”

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes damage to any part of the body, whether it’s skin, joints or organs and destroys healthy body tissue. In the case of Michael Jackson, lupus affected his skin discoloration, also known as vitiligo.

2009 06 29 picmjdeepak Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo  Photo

Deepak Chopra & Michael Jackson (Huffington Post)

“He had a lot of blotches on his skin, huge white patches all over his body. So he would cover up his body and that of course gave food for fodder to the press,” Chopra says.

Deepak Chopra’s son, Gotham, also close to Michael Jackson adds:

“It was very disturbing to him that people thought he always wanted to be white and he was bleaching his skin. [But] he identified as being a black person and so it was troubling to him that everyone thought that he was a hater of his own race,” Gotham explains. “And the lupus, why he didn’t just come out more clearly and say that was the problem, I’m not sure. But I know it was something that bothered him a lot.”

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DR. DEEPAK CHOPRA

Comments

1. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo http://bit.ly/66fyF

2. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo http://bit.ly/xySDt #mj #michaeljackson #mj’s

3. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo: And the saga continues…
    A well respected ph.. http://tinyurl.com/nb36qs

4. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo: A well respected physician and author, Deep.. http://bit.ly/Nwtl0

5. Twitted by SacredOm says:

[...] This post was Twitted by SacredOm [...]

6. Maxine Farrington says:

Dr. Chopra, I want to thank you for helping to set the record straight on MJ…I have suffered with vitiligo for the past 8 years and lost 99% of skin color…this disorder caused me great suffering mentally but have found treatment from the Vitiligo Institute of Southern California, Dr. Grimes has my face completely beautiful and now we are working on my arms…the only places left with brown patches. MJ was my idol and I have no respect for the press and bad publicity surrounding this great man. He’s resting now and we should just leave him and his family alone and allow them to grieve in peace. Thank you

7. mariyam Varghese says:

i totally feel bad that the agressive human beings tortured a good soul like Michael.. i love you Michael.. hope he is in a better place now.. among all the angels..

8. Gurya says:

I am amazed at what a vulture the media is, kill him when he is alive and keep him alive when he is dead. This is how they make their money and call it an honest living.

Leave him alone and let him rest in peace, go find yourselves another story.

9. blessings says:

i have known several people who have vitiligo, and worked with many others as a dermablend makeup specialist. from what i know about the skin disorder, it is consistent with michael jackson’s skin transformation. i hope that more information is reported about this disease, especially as it pertains to michael jackson. the media has hounded him for decades about his appearance, yet very little was reported about his admission that he was diagnosed with vitiligo in the late 1980s.

10. BJW says:

I have to wonder how many times Keith Olbermann reported horribly judgmental information about Michael. The news media just would not leave him alone. He was already suffering from self-esteem issues as a result of his childhood and the media just never let him rest. I can’t help but feel that he was a tortured soul. He has done so much good in the world, yet that was never reported as much as all the negative, and the negative generally wasn’t even true. I’m sure he is in a better place now, but I feel so bad for his children. They are going to grow up without a loving, wonderful father. Can we outlaw tabloids, please??

11. SGS says:

Why wasn’t Michael placed on an immune-boosting, stress reduction diet or other nutritional plan instead of drugs/pills. I know what MJ went through, but when the symptoms hit the hardest for me (30 years later), I used nutrition to reduce symptoms, particularly the stress, instead of pills that my doctor suggested (some of the pills Michael took). I wished someone in that “entourage” would have guided him toward the natural route.

12. [...] Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and … [...]

13. Donna Shadley says:

Dr. Chopra, I have seen you on many occasions speaking on behalf of your friend Michael Jackson, and I feel that I can finally understand better why he was the way he was. I grew up with The Jackson 5, and I loved their music and all the performances I saw on television. When Michael broke out and went solo he was the best there was at his profession! I still love hearing his music, and I like to do my workouts to it. He gave his heart and sole to everything he did, and he always seemed so sensitive and caring to me!! I have been watching the news reports daily about Michael, and it never ceases to amaze me all the crap that is said about him. People are obsessed with trying to tell things that are not true about him. I can’t even imagine what life would have been like having to go through that on a regular basis! I have been so sad these past two weeks knowing that Michael had to die the way he did!! He deserved so much more for all the things he did to help the world. I hope his children end up in the right place, and that they are not scared by all the media gossip and hurtful ways!! Thank you for sharing the truth about Michael, and I am sorry you lost your brother!

14. [...] Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and … [...]

15. Matt says:

Just because MJ had the same disease as someone does not mean the media should not report the truth. I loved his music. He was the greatest entertainer ever. But his behavior with children was too horrbile to overlook and forgive.

16. Elizabeth Maimo says:

thank you Dr Deepak Chopra!!! I was always convinced that Michael wanted to be white. I feel so bad for him for all the insults that have been heeped on him. May he rest in peace!

17. Onica says:

Im suffering from Lupus..and as im writing this i didnt sleep lastnight because of the patches i hav al over my feet…they itch alot nd make me unconfortable so i dress up alot…but the truth about MJ is out people can stop judging him that he didnt like being black..The disease can take ernomous time of you havin to cope with that is a hustle on a daily basis.

18. angel says:

thanks for clearing this up. what i wonder is if MJ disclosed about his condition on Oprah,surely the media got to know that this was a medical issue. why them did they carry on with allegations that he was bleaching his skin. what good did it do to anyone ,all that negative publicity only contributed to making someone’s life miserable. what i am happy about is out of all that most of us remained true fans to MJ and we will always remain so.

19. Jasu says:

I am afraid Deepak is as guilty as all the people in the media. Wish the he had spoken up before now, to put the record straight. I just hope people who contributed toward MJ death, will now repent which by the is to late, but leave with the guilt for rest of their lives!!!

I hope all the doctors and close friends of MJ, who made money through Michael will never rest in peace!!!

20. Marlena Macovitch says:

I have been incredibly saddened by Michael’s passing. The world has lost a great soul and a unparalleled creative talent. It has always been very disturbing to me that the press chose to torment Michael without consideration or pity for him as a human being. He was a shy, gentle and giving soul and only wanted to do good in the world.
    As someone who also suffers from an autoimmune disorder (probably caused by childhood trauma), I know the pain of being misunderstood by people who are unaware of just how debilitating the symptoms can be.
    I do hope that he can finally at least be vindicated in death by those who knew him well and choose to speak out in his defense. I know that Michael has now found the peace he deserved so much.

21. stella chami says:

MJ insisted time and time again that he was sufferin form vitilgo but the media always tried to twist things around to hurt him…but he endured all and he kept on loving caring and giving for the needy atleast the media should leave him alone now to rest in peace with his maker.he was and will be the greatest entertainer ever,he did his purpose on this earth because he lent us his beautiful voice and heart.thankyou micheal.you will b missed.

22. Wendy says:

Envy:- “To strongly desire something that another person has.” Jealous:- “Resentful of what other people have and you don’t.”
    Hate:- “The emotion of intense dislike, a feeling of dislike so strongthat it demands actiion.” The handful of people who have nothing good to say about Michael are described in the categories I mentioned earlier.
    Why don’t you look inside your filthy hearts and understand why you react the way you react to Michael. We are suppose to love one another, and he was all about love. Grow up people!!!!!!

23. Fred Prof says:

3. Drug-Induced Lupus

This type of lupus is caused by a reaction to certain kinds of medicines. For example, some types of antiseizure medicines and acne medicines can cause this kind of lupus in teens. Drug-induced lupus is similar to SLE in the ways it affects the body, but once a person stops taking the medicine, the symptoms usually go away.

I believe thats what gave Michael lupus not Joseph. I love Michael and his contributions to humanity is outta this world however if he took over 50 pills a month I can help but suspect it had something to do with it. His other siblings don’t seem to have it…hmmnnn. Anyway may his soul rest in peace…

24. Fred Prof says:

You will be missed and always be loved Michael Joseph Jackson. Rest in Peace.

PS. I always believed the vitiligo story though.

25. [...] superstar Michael Jackson has cast the spotlight on a little known autoimmune disease called lupus. In an interview on MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann, the wellness guru Dr. Deepak Chopra, a longtime friend of Michael Jackson, disclosed that the [...]

26. Lynne' says:

in my opinion it was the media’s fault and the fact that the children that had family members, father’s and mother’s that lied about the molestation of their children to get money from this man..that brought him down as well as the tabloids and other media sources for putting him down on his skin coloration and his innocence in his molestation cases..not believing him.. his privacy should of been just that his privacy..
    He helped so many out here in our world. Put so much together for the world and helping children and you could tell from pictures now and home movies that have been released his own children and children from around the world were all he cared about the most.. Helping others yet so many were out to condemn this wonderful man.
    Yes he is at rest now. But his children lost their father which should of never happened in my opinion.
    I do worry of his three he left behind how their lives are going to be now and how they are coping.
    We always love him and miss him in our lives. I grew up with him and still find it hard to believe he is gone.
    But hopefully now he can rest in peace and God will have him in heaven and I am sure he has been given a very special place in Heaven and helping others there on the other side.. God needed him more then we did here on Earth. But I do worry of the children, he left behind and their futures now.

27. Lynne' says:

SGS I have to agree with you and the natural route of things rather then drugs and pills and I am surprised that they did not put him on this route then the drugs and pills being he was a vegetarian I figured he was more inclined to natural curing. For things like this Lupus and the Fibromaylgia it is better to go the Natural curing then the drugs and pills are.
    But no one stated NO to Jackson and that was stated as well if that was true maybe that was why.
    But you would think someone who was careful of his diet..and the way he ate.. that he would of gone a natural route over a drug route..
    who knows and we may never know.
    Unfortunately whatever it was took him and now he is gone.
    Hopefully resting now in Peace of some sort.

28. Simone Le Anne says:

I had no idea he had lupus. My grandmother suffered from Lupus for almost 40 years and passed away 2 weeks before Michael Jackson.

29. Tonya says:

Prof Fred,

I didn’t know that vitiligo or the way individuals handle stress is hereditary or would be in all family members. My Great Aunt has vitiligo and none of her sisters had it and none of the grandchildren or great grand children have it. As far as the stress and abuse of his childhood…I don’t know if that caused either of his conditions, but the fact that it affected him differently than it did his siblings is a testament to his sensitivity to stress. We should not judge. Pray for the family and his children and leave them alone.

30. kathy says:

THIS from a doctor? What about the millions of lupus sufferers who had perfectly happy, healthy childhoods? Believe Joe was a creep, but I don’t
    think that was a cause of his supposed lupus. More in line with Fred Prof, who suggested drug-induced lupus. BTW, one of his UCLA docs was a bit confusing on which form of lupus he had: said he looked at his scalp & his malar rash (which is not white nor pigment lacking) & said “you have lupus”. Well, that would indicate DISCOID lupus, a milder form of the disease, as opposed to SLE, which is much, much more dangerous, usually involving the organs, and weirdly enough, the common one people get. So, it is too odd that even these supposed docs cannot get their stories straight.

31. John says:

It is nice to hear more truth about Michael’s conditions coming out, with regards to Lupus and vitiligo. Vitiligo was mentioned sometimes but I never heard anything about Lupus.

Also, Matt.. Michael never did anything wrong to children, so what is there that was horrible? That was just two people lying in an effort to scam money out of him.

He was one of the worlds formidable philanthropists, who is in the Guinness Book of World Records for ‘Most Charities Supported by a Pop Star’, he created the ‘Heal The World Foundation’. Many of the proceeds of his songs went to charities that helped the earth and children. At the time that many feared AIDS, and those that had it.. he stood up to fight the discrimination, alongside Ryan White. The list goes on… How can doing these things and more be bad?

32. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and … http://bit.ly/SxIwt

33. Scooter says:

Guess I think so much could of been solved had this man just come out and said what was wrong with him. By not doing so, he fed the speculation and furor.
    It is wonderful those who knew, are coming forward now…..but Michael was such a big part of his own problem.
    This is such a very sad story, another gifted individual driven to madness and death by his own fame….and behavior.
    All the money and fame cannot buy peace or happiness…but people continue to strive for that…thinking it will fill the emptiness inside. It does not…..if there is any lesson this man is leaving…that should be it…..

34. JohnRJ08 says:

It’s fairly clear now that Michael Jackson suffered from vitiligo and, since there are no proven treatments that can darken the skin of people with this condition, bleaching was Jackson’s best option. However, the question that cannot be ignored is why Jackson chose to disfigure his face and remove every African-American feature. Between his numerous plastic surgeries and skin bleaching, Michael Jackson looked like an attractive white woman.

35. Alison Heath says:

I think all you people out there who believed he did do the things he was accused of to children, simply chose to believe because it was easy to (the media) and because of your ignorance. His disease, which made him look “wierd” to many, simply scared you into judging him and ridiculing him. I wish the best for him in the afterlife, and hope to God that he is at peace, finally. I’m sorry Michael, for ever having the slightest bit of doubt toward you. I believe the media was cruel to you, and you deserved so much more from the world. I miss you.

36. Lexzion T says:

I just wanted to say that after reading the information on lupus and vitiligo that i am sorry for all the things that I said about michael’s increasing lightness. I guess when you are hear something through the media that you tend to believe it. i should have done my research a long time ago and maybe i could have understand his situation better. As far as him completely changing his features, i think it he was just unaware how handsome he was or that he really couldn’t see his own face. I am sorry Michael and i surely hope that you rest in peace. It’s probably better that you left all us jackasses here! I will miss you!!! Tracy

37. carol says:

I had an attorney friend with Lupis, like Micheal Jackson. She suffered so terribly she eventually was unable to work. Employers don’t like employees who are progressively more sick. Nor do concert producers. So people with Lupis tend to hide it as long as they can. My friend’s episodes were very prone to stress just as most diseases are, with the horribly chronic, such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Lupis, much more affected. Lupis attacks any organ (skin too is an organ) and thus can take a long time to diagnose. Lupis attacks these organs and joints with debilitating and damaging inflamation which over time destroys the organ’s ability to function. Many who have their hearts so damaged by such inflamation have massive heart attacks, just as Michael Jackson may have. Many are fortunate to live 50 years which MJ barely did – possibly because he had the best doctors extending his chances.
    So, may Michael Jackson rest in peace; and may we truly mourn his absence because we have lost two of the rarest of occurances in our species: a kind and generous man, of absolute, creative genius.
    The corporate media could help America and the world by educating with the full truth rather than creating hate, suspicion and ignorance with their need for sensationalism. We, their audiences, can have the strongest impact by not buying their rags, or watching their shows of ignorance. If we must watch, we can have much more impact on that destructive industry by twittering and blogging real-time after preparing ourselves with more education of our own, and by telling them how we have no interest in their spreading fractional truths which leave out valuable facts. May God have mercy on us all for giving ignorance an audience.

38. MJFanSinceThe80's says:

MJ said he has lupus and vitilago in his 1993 interview with Oprah, but people continued to believe the media. you can find photos of him with discolorations when he was in his 20′s… there is one where he is dressed like charlie chaplin. The child molestation charges also produced alot of stress in his life so it probally compounded whatever else that was going on with him. You can not believe all of these media reports saying he was taking 50 pills a day… no one knows that for sure! Most of what’s coming out can not be trusted because the OFFICIAL coroner’s report has yet to be released. People DO NOT have to come out and release their ENTIRE medical histories to people… it’s no ones biz. Would YOU tell the world your medical history… I THINK NOT. The media needs to let this man Rest In Peace. If I was the family I would not release his final burying place either… out of fear that the paps and mean and spiteful people would do something crazy!

39. Geewk » Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and … says:

[...] Read more here:  Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and … [...]

40. Nina says:

I honestly believe that Michael never recovered from the stress caused from being falsely accused of molestation.

He gave to the world his talent , his money, and his heart. Honestly what more do people want from one individual.

REST IN PEACE Michael and than you for ALL you gave to the world.

41. [...] superstar Michael Jackson has cast the spotlight on a little known autoimmune disease called lupus. In an interview on MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann, the wellness guru Dr. Deepak Chopra, a longtime friend of Michael Jackson, disclosed that the [...]

42. brian says:

did lupus make him have affections for children? Keep fooling yourselves, people. The man was twisted. His father should be the one 6-feet under.

43. awor says:

YOU are No Friend of Michael’s
    I have heard you on many TV stations, saying how Mike asked you for drugs–weather he asked you as a Friend or Dr
    what satifation did YOU get letting the world know about a PRIVATE conversation he had with you, what purpose was served other than to bring attention to YOO!!! with friends like YOU !!!! well you know the rest!!!!!!!

44. Sonja says:

My sister had, and my son has lupus and HOW DARE you blame an “abusive childhood” on the development of lupus. Do your research, genetics are involved and being predisposed. You make it sound like everyone who has lupus has been abused. That is not the case, genetic predisposition is a big part, and extreme stress can bring it out where a patient is “in crisis” and can actually be diagnosed-but it isn’t always because of abuse, as you speak of. As my child states, he had the best childhood. Get your facts straight!

45. jf says:

Everyone criticizes Michael for changing his skin color. It is obvious, given the progression of his skin change that he did indeed have vitiligo. I have seen a few people with vitiligo, and you may have too. I feel for those people so because it must be extremely difficult living life looking that way. The way people look at you, and the way you look at yourself must be extremely difficult to handle. Imagine the whole entire world looking at you like that. I’ll tell you right now, if Michael hadn’t gotten lighter and controlled his disease, then no one would really like him looking like he had vitiligo. So what really could you have expected him to do? I’m sure no one, including himself, wanted to look like that, so he changed it.

Look up what it looks like to have vitiligo. Would you want to look like that, or would you change it if you could? I rest my case.

46. Mr D says:

As Mother Teresa said…”Nothing that you have not given away will ever be really yours.” You can help many, as many as you want in this World full of needs and extremely empty of genuine love. But you should never ever expect any kind of thanks from everyone. Your job is to keep giving away not allowing a minimum chance your left hand to know what your right hand is doing.
    Concerning Michael works on this World, he planted marvelous seeds that sometime will grow out to more good even after life. He was a special gift to all of us. I never felt so bad when his accusations came to light. Something inside me was telling “the root of all evil is money.” To close up: Take the money away from hands, from loans and from banks…greediness will disappear and happiness will shine again all over the World. Freedom start by being away of those sharks!

47. ALBA, sydney, Australia says:

Thank you Dr Chopra for shaming MJ’s cretic. In other words jealous and shameless devil enemy. R.I.P MJ we luv you even in death. Your memories will for ever live in hours hearts (fans). Thanks for music, cherities, love for children and humanity. You did nothing that we can think other wise about you. We are well convinced that your enemy set you up to tarnished your character. They forget that God put you up there and he only can bring you down not them and their nonsense allegations. We love you Michael, you help greatly to heal the world.
    R.I.P.

48. Kim says:

I love Michael Jackson. I have loved him since I was a child. Nothing could ever change that. He was a good person with a dear heart, and the world is worse off now that he is gone. But I believe his vitiligo was medically induced. I don’t have any proof of my suspicions and I hope God will forgive me if I am wrong, but I honestly believe MJ wanted to be white. Why else would he insist on having totally white children? It doesn’t make sense for a black man that isn’t trying to be white to insist on having all white children, as he works to, not only lighten, but whiten his skin. Can anyone explain that dichotomy?

Why not lend his own genes to the mix in his children? Even if he insisted on a white mother, he could have used his own sperm to impregnate her? Was he trying to avoid even the slightest semblance of African features in his children? I can’t be sure, but the behavior is certainly suspicious for a man that claimed he was proud and honored to be black. His actions don’t lend any credence to his black pride statements, in fact they belie them completely.

Although his dermatologist seems like a brilliant doctor, his thinly veiled denials of paternity of Michael’s children seem shifty and weirdly unscrupulous.

Poor Michael. His weak mind allowed him to be a pawn in the games of Caucasians that were only out to exploit him in his adulthood, as his father exploited him in his childhood.

Very sad.

Michael Jackson was played by everyone in his life. But his psychological handicap, in the form of racial self-hatred, made him an easy target of the pirahnas in life. What happened to him was totally unnecessary. He should still be alive and thriving at this stage of life. Instead, the sickness of his mind allowed him to be easily consumed by a hateful world and society that thrives on ridicule of its most helpless and vulnerable inhabitants.

So much talent. So much compassion. So much goodness. Such a caring and dear heart. Sweetness personified. An angel incarnate. But one flaw of the mind limited his effectiveness and ultimately caused his untimely demise.

Let his pitiful life example be a lesson to all black parents. EDUCATE your children! No matter how talented in the arts, all children need a sense of self identity and pride, an understanding of the viciousness of the society in which they live, the ability to think your way out of inevitable obstacles in life, and methodologies to deal with the twists and turns life throws at them without resorting to the least common denominator of escapism through the consumption of drugs. Education is the best route to arming our children for the harshness of life. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER — it can help breed unparalleled confidence and wisdom in individuals with a moral compass. I only wish Michael Jackson had had the benefit of a comprehensive education — armor for his mind/brain. Coupled with his exceptionally gifted talent, inner beauty, compassion, and sweetness, he would have been a phenomenon to behold on this planet. And the vultures would have had no choice but to keep their distance and stew in their own hateful frustrations at not being able to touch him on any level; psychologically, emotionally, or mentally — all aspects where he was easily conquered in this life.

Michael Jackson, Rest in Peace….Dear Heart.

You will be greatly missed.

49. Kim says:

Very sad.

Michael Jackson, Rest in Peace….Dear Heart.

You will be greatly missed.

50. Cindy says:

As a Michael Jackson fan, I’ve always known about him having Lupus and Vitiligo. The first time MJ let the world know about his Vitiligo condition was when Oprah interviewed him donkey years ago, (and countless times after that).

Vitiligo can be passed on through the genes, and l don’t think Michael wanted his children to experience that pain, (hence donated sperm). I would do the same or simply not have children. How come no one has ever talked about Lionel Ritchie adopting two white children?

As for the nose, and chin surgery it comes with the business. We poke fun at peoples big noses, weight, ears..etc and then they go under the knife. If at all Michael was really bald when he died…we should remember he got 2nd-3rd degree burns when his hair caught fire in the 1980′s.

May his soul R.I.P

51. Cindy says:

Vitiligo is a real disease. Note that the young lady’s facial features (bone structure) have also changed through the years. See the following 20/20 video and pictures below:

R.I.P Michael.

52. Cleo says:

With all due respect Mr. Chopra, please get the facts straight about Lupus. if Michael had SLE Lupus – YOU DON’ KNOW AND CAN NOT JUDGE UNTIL YOU HAVE WALKED IN THE SHOES OF A LUPUS PATIENT. Please do not make it seem like everyone who has lupus has been abused. My cousin passed away at 15 and there are many children with great childhoods who have lupus. yes, stress can bring it on as with any other illness. I am all for alternative medicine and mind/body connection and I spent alot of money doing many things in the alternative world and went broke 3 times doing so. And you know what they also scratch their heads in the alternative world at Lupus. There are thing you can do to help such as diet, meditation and so on. But as a Lupus patient for 18 years, i feels like a slow death an it disguises and we get confused and exhaused. One day good, next day can’t get up due to the fatigue, disabling pain. I cant imagine what it mush have been like fo MJ being an entertainer – who tried his best to show up and put a smile on his face when he was in pain to please his fans. If I don’t feel well I can just curl up in bed and not face the world that day. Please give him credit for dealing with this disease which primarily affects women and maybe this is also why he did not reveal to the public – men have a very hard time dealing, also to get work. Alot of Lupus patients do not reveal to their jobs their illness because they might lose their jobs, because we do not look sick. Anway, please Mr. Chopra, I am sorry for your loss as the whole world is – but please do not try to analyze this disease – you can not imagine life with it. Thank you.

53. Jen says:

I have lupus. I was diagnosed 21 years ago with it. I had a wonderful childhood. I was never abused, mentally, verbally, physically, or otherwise. However, I totally understand what Michael was going through. It’s a terrible, terrible disease. It is also known as the “wolf” disease, because of the way it ravages your body. Perhaps that is why Michael chose to turn into a werefolf in the “Thriller” video.

Also, I agree completely with everything Cleo said in her post.

54. Sonya says:

Deepak Chopra genuinely loved Michael Jackson. I thank him for expressing his message about Michael is such a loving, compassionate and intelligent manner. I wish more people could see this video AND actually allow the message to penetrate. RIP Mike.

55. [...] race. He went and became white. Honestly its offensive. Because he totally asked for a disease. Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo

56. acnesolutions health site says:

Vitiligo has no permament cure, it can only be controlled by some medications.

57. ~ melatonin side effects says:

my girlfriend has Vitiligo. i think UV treatment and also some topical agents as well pills that increase melanin are working for her.

58. Vitiligo says:

I recently came across the story of a black girl who developed vitiligo patches and lost all her pigment to them. It’s possible, people !

59. Dan Gonza]es says:

Dr Arnold Klein who is a Professor of medicine and dermatology at UCLA is the only physician who Michael permitted to speak about his vitiligo and discoid lupus, Furthermore once he knew there was an addiction problem Klein intervened on two separate occasions. While the press chooses to vilify Klein he was the only one Michael trusted. How do i know? Michael was my freind…Dan

60. Willis Sherman says:

To Dan Gonzales: if Klein was such a “friend” to Michael, how could he come out with that embarrassing and shocking 96 minute interview he just did with TMZ, where he claimed that Michael peed in front of others, into a cup? This is a FRIEND? I also don’t see how 51 injections of Demerol into said “friend’s” body, knowing the person was a drug addict, qualifies as “intervening”.
    Dan — your response respectfully sought! And since you mention that you were a friend of Michael’s, may we ask, generally speaking, under what circumstances?

61. Dawn Lechtenberg says:

Even if he had bleached his skin … I’m at a loss to understand why it is any more relevant to who he was than it is for those white people who choose lay baking in the sun or get their bodies sprayed with chemicals to turn their skin from white to brown.

Yes the media at large do have a lot to answer for when it comes to Michael … but irrespective of his skin disease and other people’s prognostications on whether he bleached it or not … I’ve always felt that his skin color was and is irrelevant to his music and to the beauty of his soul.

Michael summed it up best in one short statement in his song “Black or White” …

“I’m not gonna spend my life being a color.”

62. arrssam says:

I think we should leave the Jackson’s topic now because now he is no more and even we should pray for him that may God bless her rest soul in the heaven.

63. RT @Myriah007 Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo « We Give the Doctor an Exam http://bit.ly/66fyF

64. BB says:

RT @L_O_V_E_M_J: RT @Myriah007 Dr. Deepak Chopra: Michael Jackson Suffered from Lupus and Vitiligo « We Give the Doctor an Exam http://bit.ly/66fyF

65. mickey shadd says:

66. michael jackson fan says:

Michael jackson was an phenominal artist and the Best dancer in the world , no one will be able to come even close to what he had achieved in his Life . Every Song of MJ is My Favourite Song.I Love You forever”He was the best . His music is so pure that i feels like i am in complete different world , infact i am listening to his music right now while writing this . Now (you are not alone ) Song is going on , i wish just for once in a life time i would have met him , I just can’t stop loving you Rest in Peace MJ.

67. Joanne says:

Hi I was a big fan from a child of the jackson five and in particular to michael, I was lucky enough to be able to see his bad concert which was a dream come true for me. I have lupus, it blummin hurts, unless you have it you have no idea the pain, fatigue and how it just generally changes the person you once were into a new person, I cannot bare to be touched sometimes as even my skin hurts, I almost died from this disease, I am sorry for anybody who has to deal with this monkey on my back and am deeply saddened that michael could not say to people this is what he had.

I hope now, that wherever he is in the universe he has finally found some peace from his torment, and I would like to send out there to him my most humblest of thanks for giving me such joy through his music throughout my childhood and to this day.

namaste michael.

Joanne

68. Evelyn Malave says:

This doctor is crazy and needs to get his facts straight. I have had Lupus since the age of 17 and I had a beautiful childhood. Lupus has nothing to do with ones childhood. It people like this Dr.Chopra who confuses others. You want to learn about Lupus go to the Lupus website. Maybe Michael had Lupus and Vitiligo but one has nothing to do with the other. And lets keep in mind that there are Systemic Lupus and Descoid Lupus. Seal is an example of the skin lupus. So let Michael rest in peace. Evelyn Malave

69. Lin says:

Willis that man, Dan Gonzales, was really a friend of Michael. I know who he is. He even has pictures with him.

70. Truth says:

Whatever happened was between Michael and his doctors.  If he had Lupus, I can understand his heart giving out.  A family member from a previous marriage died and was found in front of her house when her heart gave out.  I have vitiligo, which I never really thought was a problem, since my hands are white and my face wasn’t really affected.  I always wore suits and no one really noticed.  Even if they did, it wasn’t an issue.  The melanocytes die.  That’s all it is.  Also, I have read that the body produces too much H202, which can be neutralized with pineapple, which contains catalase, an enzyme.  One of the vitiligo cures is pseudocatalase cream (which is probably made from pineapples–my guess).  Papayas are great for the skin also.  Some people who look like they have vitiligo have tinea versacolor, which is a type of fungus.  People have cured this with Selsun Blue shampoo.  Coconut oil is helpful in the tub as it is anti-fungal.  If you want to understand vitiligo more, read Emily’s vitiligo.  Sugar feeds fungus.  My dad owned a store and I had too much access to candy.  Sugar is very bad for your system.  Sodas are bad too.  All of this leads to cancer.  Michael had a sweet tooth.  I read that he had a “candy store” setup at Neverland.  This was probably bad for him, but he didn’t really know at the time.  It just fed the illness.

Now, anyone connecting vitiligo to AIDS is a moron.  My grandmother, who died when I was in the 3rd grade, had vitiligo.  She was born in the 1800′s.  THERE WAS NO AIDS BACK THEN.  She was also diabetic.

Michael didn’t WANT to be white, it was just nature doing a cruel trick on him.  Right after I had my child, my stomach turned totally white.  They say when you have a scar, such as a C-Section, the melanocytes rush to the scar to heal it.

Makes sense to me!!  Now leave this man alone.  He didn’t hurt anyone.  And if you believe he molested children, watch the 69 tapes from his last child molestation trial on You Tube.  I’m sure you will agree the man is totally innocent.

I am sick of the media printing stories that aren’t true.  They have no regard for a sensitive person’s feelings.  This is what caused the demise of Michael Jackson.  May he rest in peace.